Uncertainly. Anxiety. Hunger.
Most of us are experiencing the first two as our community and country venture deeper each day into this sobering and unprecedented situation. Now our four Clubs are closed as are schools across the County, but we intend to continue to be there for the children and families in our community. Here is the reality:
* Children are hungry. We are now providing up to 1,500 meals a day to children who have been receiving daily meals at school and at our clubs. These meals are free of charge and available to anyone in need.
* Children are stressed. We are offering in-person and online connection to behavioral health specialists through our H.E.R.O (Helping Each Other Realize Opportunity) program to children at risk of challenges. We are also promoting healthy lifestyles by moving culinary and sports modules online.
* Parents are stressed. We are providing instructional materials to help families navigate the virtual learning landscape and giving homework help through certified teachers to reinforce academic subjects.
* Our County-wide full and part-time staff continue to work, with dramatically reduced pay. They are evidence of our commitment to the children and families we have served in our clubs, as well as those whom we have served in the schools with our AmeriCorps staff.
* We are working closely with our not-for-profit partners. AmeriCorps members and our staff have been redeployed to support the critical efforts of House of Hope, Treasure Coast Food Bank, Banner Lake, the Hobe Sound Early Learning Center, and Hibiscus Children’s Center.
* We have adjusted our budget to accomplish this vital work. Given the changing landscape, we must raise an additional $250,000 per month for these new services: Food, Mental Health and Academic Support.
Please help us provide for the children and families of Martin County at this unprecedented time. They are counting on us, and we hope that we can again count on you. Your gift will make a huge difference!
Donations will go directly to emergency relief amid Coronavirus outbreak. *Please indicate yes for the BGCMC emergency relief fund on the donation form.