What started as food relief strictly for children in need is now expanding to families and adding—for at least one week—new pick-up locations in south Martin County.
Since March 17 Boys & Girls Clubs of Martin County (BGCMC) has provided free meals to children under age 18—regardless if they ever belonged to a club—at its four club locations (listed below).
Starting Monday, March 27, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. families are also welcome to pick up free, ready-to-eat meals.
“Many parents, grandparents, guardians and caregivers are telling us how grateful they are to know that their children can now consistently get something to eat—even if they personally have no idea where their next meal will come from,” says Keith “Fletch” Fletcher, CEO of BGCMC. “We wanted to remedy this situation however possible and make sure their caregivers are able to at least get one meal a day.
“We plan on continuing this effort as long as we’re able,” he added.
As of Sunday, BGCMC had already served 5,300 meals. (Menu of items below.)
Feeding entire families isn’t the only way BGCMC is expanding its assistance. Monday through Friday, Martin County School District will roll out its summer feeding program, distributing a meal and snack from 9 a.m. to noon at Warfield Elementary in Indiantown, J.D. Parker Elementary in Stuart, Port Salerno Elementary and Hobe Sound Elementary.
To make it easier for any children in Hobe Sound unable to reach Hobe Sound Elementary (which for many means crossing U.S. 1), BGCMC is lending a helping hand. The nonprofit will transport meals from Hobe Sound Elementary and distribute them to children from 9 a.m. to noon at three Hobe Sound locations, including:
· Banner Lake Club, 12212 SE Lantana Ave.
· Hobe Sound Mobile Village, 11411 SE Federal Highway
· Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 8224 SE Pettway St.
Additional locations for evening meals:
BGCMC has been and will continue distributing dinners from 4 to 8 p.m. at its four club locations:
· Cole-Clark Club, 11500 SE Lares Ave., Hobe Sound
· Bill & Barbara Whitman Club, 17375 SW Palm Beach St., Indiantown
· H. Wayne Huizenga Club, 1150 SW Martin Downs Blvd., Palm City
· John & Marge Bolton Club, 4731 SE Flounder Ave., Stuart
In addition, each evening from 4 to 7 p.m., BGCMC will distribute meals from Hobe Sound Mobile Village and Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church.
Delivery to Hibiscus Children’s Center:
BGCMC will also deliver meals each evening to families staying at Hibiscus Children’s Center in Martin County, a shelter for children who’ve been abused, abandoned and neglected.
Scope of operations:
In summation, BGCMC is working from three distribution sites in the morning and its four clubs and two new Hobe Sound sites in the evening, as well as delivering to Hibiscus Children’s Center.
More than 85 percent of BGCMC’s nearly 2,000 members come from families who qualify for the Martin County School District’s free/reduced lunch program—twice the countywide average. Annually, BGCMC serves 100,000 meals.
“We know the need is there even during supposed good times,” says Fletcher, “so we had to move—and move quickly—to address the hunger during this crisis.”
· Monday - Wheat Chex / pears / (single serving) milk
· Tuesday - Blueberry muffin / pineapple / ss milk
· Wednesday - Multigrain Cheerios / applesauce / ss milk
· Thursday - Banana muffin / mixed fruit / ss milk
· Friday - Rice Chex / tropical fruit / ss milk
· Monday - Turkey and swiss on wheat / potato salad / mandarin oranges
· Tuesday - Chicken tenders / sweet potato cubes / tropical fruit
· Wednesday - Chicken salad on wheat / spinach /tomato wedges / peaches
· Thursday - Cheese lasagna with meat sauce / vegetable medley / roll / pears
· Friday - Tuna sandwich on wheat / spinach / tomato wedges / mixed fruit
· Monday - Chicken alfredo pasta / green peas / pineapple cup
· Tuesday - Meatloaf / mashed sweet potato / roll / fruit cocktail
· Wednesday - Fried chicken patty / green beans / cornbread / spinach salad
· Thursday - Salisbury steak / broccoli / macaroni and cheese
· Friday - Fish sticks / mixed vegetables / roll / mandarin oranges
· Monday - Goldfish cheddar / 100% juice
· Tuesday - Corn muffin / ss milk
· Wednesday - Sun Chips original flavor / 100% juice
· Thursday - Goldfish Grams / ss milk
· Friday – Cheez-Its / 100% juice